Thursday, September 18, 2014

This Week in My Kitchen

I love the blog Beauty That Moves and have been reading and enjoying her photos for a few years. I am joining Heather in her Kitchen Blog Hop.

Here is this week.




Fun with yogurt and berry juice.


Watermelon out of the garden!!


Lots of food preservation. GMO free corn that my son brought me. Beans, beans, and beans from our garden.


A fresh, home made Ratatouille. It came out so good. I will share the recipe next week.


It is a busy time in the kitchen here. So many things still coming out of the garden. I still have so many things to put up. Pickled beets, more beans, zucchini, and we still have to make salsa and tomato sauce and applesauce. I am telling myself not to panic. It will all get done, and if it doesn't, it is ok.




Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Before the Freeze

We have a couple of wood fires under our belt. Now the forecasters are calling for a wide spread frost for tonight into tomorrow morning.

I cover a lot in my garden. We eat greens starting in March and continue eating healthy all summer and into the late fall. The only way to do this here in Maine is with the hoop houses Dean has made. Tonight they will be going back on. As I said, I do cover a lot but I cannot cover everything. I wouldn't want to. Today I went out tho the garden and collected all the veggies that would be in danger of frost damage.


I am not really concerned with beets and carrots getting a freeze. They are actually better after a freeze. I have some in my bowl because they were just sitting on top of the beds. Conveniently we have had a deer visit us for the last couple of days. I say conveniently because he/she ate all the leaves off the beans but left the beans behind. It was much easier to pick them without having to move all the leaves around. They have been feasting on the carrots and beets also, but again not eating the veggie part of it. They picked them for me and left them behind. Unfortunately the deer also ate a bit of the kale. It will grow back, but still, it is a disappointment. The kale will be covered tonight since it is in the same bed as some eggplant and tomatoes.

I took some shots of the tomatoes and peppers that have been under cover for most of the summer. Only in the really hot month did we take off the plastic. The peppers are my biggest disappointment this summer. They are lagging so far behind. I may not get enough. I have bags of tomatoes in the freezer waiting for peppers so I can make sauce and salsa for the winter months.






I brought into the house some potted peppers and my big geranium plant. That added a bit of beauty to the house.

So fall is here, even if the calendar doesn't say so. I am happy about it though, it is my favorite season.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A Little Tie Dye

One day a few weeks ago the girls and I did some Tie Dying. We needed to do it outside to avoid any tie dyed rugs. I found some plastic and laid it out on some grass.

We used a kit we bought at JoAnn Fabrics. It had six colors in it and enough dye for two fills of the bottles. We bought cammies and T-shirts and some socks.

First we had to wet the fabric.

Then we decide on a pattern and start wrapping rubber bands (if the project calls for them) and dying!


Not sure why I am standing like a crane. Probably trying to keep the mosquitoes off.


AnnMarie decided to do an Ombre style of dying. She started at the bottom with very dark dye then used the brush to move up the color little by little.


Greta went with a swirl style. Which means swirling the shirt up and wrapping the bands in a criss -cross fashion with 6 different parts.


Then you squeeze the dye into each part.


You have to really soak it. Otherwise the color won't take.


Afterwards you have to rinse all the excess dye out of the fabric.


It was all just too exciting for Padfoot.


I wanted to try one too. I used a stained white shirt I had. Re-purpose!!


Look how those colors move.


Beautiful!

Each girl did a T-shirt and a cammie. They also did a pair of socks. The socks didn't work as well, since the fabric was polyester. You must use 100% cotton if you want bright vibrant colors.

After the rinsing the shirts were hung up to dry a bit. Then as recommended we put them in a dryer to finish drying.

This was a very fun project and we can't wait to do some more.