Monday, June 30, 2014

Strawberry Season in Maine


We went to Sand Hill Farm to pick strawberries on Friday. The picking was so good. Sand Hill is an organic farm. We all know strawberries are on the 'bad' list for pesticide use. I don't know how many pounds I ended up with but we had plenty. Of course there was a lot of eating right off the plants while picking. There was more eating at home. Plenty for the freezer too.

I cut off the tops of the strawberries, cut the giant ones in half, place them on cookie sheets and stuck them in the freezer. Then when the berries were frozen I put them into gallon sized freezer bags and put them back in the freezer. I do plan to go back and pick a few more quarts for fresh out of the box eating. My family can eat a couple of quarts in a day!

My youngest daughter and I made a pound cake yesterday. We got the recipe here. It turned out moist and sweet and yummy! Of course we put strawberries and cream on it.


There were some fresh strawberries left over this morning so I thought waffles would be a great breakfast. Everyone else thought so too.




Yum, Yum, Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment